[mythtv-users] Is the hpHDTV 5500 right for me?

Frank Merrill fmerrill1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 18:48:05 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Henry Hartley <henry at dotrose.com> wrote:

> As for video going into the machine, I need to know that I'm getting the
> right device for the signal I have. The pcHDTV HD-3000 is mentioned a few
> times in the MythTV docs but it looks like the pcHDTV HD-5500 is the
> "current" model and also costs about $70 less. So, is this (or either,
> really) card is going to do what I want? If my signal is ATSC, as I think,
> then this should be able to be attached to a splitter on my antenna without
> needing the converter box in the circuit, meaning I can leave my current set
> up as it is for now. Is that right? Or is there a better choice for
> receiving video into my machine?

To simplify this down to what your signal is first, yes, it would be
ATSC from your local Over-The-Air (OTA) stations.
What you are currently doing with it to drive what you have is also fine.
So, based upon what your initial intentions are (to run Myth on a PC
in the basement via a capture card within that PC), yes, split the
signal coming from the Antenna, and feed the capture card with that.

There may be a lot more to think about, such as a possible need to
amplify the antenna signal, the future when you may want to drive a TV
from the Myth PC, etc, but your initial observations are correct.
I have no idea personally about the pcHDTV cards, but if they are
indicated as working with MythTV, then you are on the right track.

Frank