[mythtv-users] upgrade Fedora 9 to 12?

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Wed Feb 17 01:38:56 UTC 2010

On 02/15/2010 03:38 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:

> With the Olympics on my recording schedule is pretty light so I'm
> considering bringing my MythTV box up to date. I'm currently running
> Fedora 9 and I know all the arguments to reformat/reinstall but wondering
> if anyone has upgrade incrementally. I could just dive in and go F9 ->
> F12, or increment through the versions. Preupgrade has never worked for
> me, but I've just had success doing a yum upgrade.
>
> Any ideas? Experiences?

I see you've already gotten quite a few opinions, some favoring
upgrading, some favoring re-installing.

My experience with yum upgrade over the years has been relatively smooth
- I've never encountered a problem that could not be overcome.

I started with Fedora Core version 3 in 2005 (I think) on 3 different
machines.  I use RAID 1 for /boot and / partitions, and I think until
recently, anaconda didn't seem to recognize this.  Over the years, I
have succesfully yum upgraded all the way Fedora 12 today.

I don't upgrade every 6 months, when a new release is out - I usually
wait 12 to 18 months, and upgrade through 2 or 3 releases at a time.  I
never skip a release, though.

You can google for information on things to look out for when yum
upgrading to different Fedora versions.

Just my 2 cents.