[mythtv-users] Remote LCD/VFD display that works with MythTV?

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Wed Feb 3 04:55:09 UTC 2010

Hi!

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 01/28/2010 08:44 PM, Nicolas Riendeau wrote:
>
>> Thing is, I don't know if it is safe to use two different power supplies
>> to supply the voltages used by the display (the one it gets separately
>> and from the USB port)... Could something in the display assume the
>> power is supplied by only one power supply?
>
> I also took a look at the manual. I don't think it would have a problem
> with getting power from effectively 2 sources. Firstly, the unit is not
> intended to be powered through USB and may not have the 5+ wire
> connected on the Veris end.

Yep, you're right... I assumed it did but it might not...

> Secondly, it's only DC we're looking at and any problem would be a
> difference in ground potential between the wall wart/whatever powering
> your external 5.25" case and the ground level on the USB header of your
> computer.

I wonder what would be the end result...

> Worst case, you could build a long 3 connector extender to extend the
> wires from the 24 pin adapter on your computer, to the box, thus
> extending the computer's ground potential to the external box. If you
> did that, you could also run wiring to splice into the power switch, so
> the unit would work as originally intended: you can use the remote to
> power the computer on and off!  That would be 10 wires, so a chunk of
> flat cable might to the trick, provided you don't mind soldering the
> needed end connectors, all of which would be internal.

 From the pictures it's difficult to say if the gauge of the wires is the same as the
usual gauge of a flat cable but I guess I'll know for sure when I have it in my hands.

(I have ordered it from NCIX, it's not in stock though so it might take a while
before I receive it...).

I'm not sure if I'll connect the power switch though since this PC is my backend and
I don't necessarily want to make it that easy to turn it off...

> Well I don't know how many sites teksavvy has, but if you don't mind
> admitting that you live in Guelph I guess I shouldn't hold that against
> you too much, ya loser.

Nope, not even close... (-; I think Teksavvy is present Canada-wide...

> That's not too bad a price, considering. The Remote, BTW is the same one
> I've been using for about 4 years now, iMon Pad, so I suspect you will
> have no problems with getting it set up in lirc once you have it wired
> up. There's an lircd.conf and an lircrc on the wiki iirc.

Thank you very much for your help and have a nice day!

Nick