[mythtv-users] Build a robust FE - irritated with IONs

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Dec 24 01:20:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 06:09:12PM -0500, Marc Tousignant wrote:
>  So my gripes as OP were with having audio sync problems on VDPAU Normal
>  - seems like if the gear was up to the task, it wouldn't be an issue.
>  Seems to arise with recorded TV content rather than DVDs/rips.  But
>  that's the heart of my point, I'm tired of accepting lesser settings,
>  (seeing some visible artifacts), audio sync, with VDPAU and SPDIF
>  passthru on my IONs.  I mean honestly, with VDPAU and SPDIF passthru (I
>  disabled upconverting) you'd expect this playback to kick ass.  Instead,
>  I visit my bro-in-law's house with Comcast HD and DVR and it makes my
>  kit's performance look flawed.
>
>  THIS IS NOT ANY KIND OF NEGATIVE COMMENT ABOUT MYTHTV, THE INTERNAL
>  PLAYER, OR ANYONE's EFFORT ON DEVELOPMENT (so please don't go there).  I
>  love Myth and what it allows me to do.  I just want the PAYOFF in
>  certain areas and I've concluded a major defect in my planning was
>  certain hardware choices.
>
>  My next machine/TV to build (PC on hand) will be a Revo with the ION GT
>  218 hardware.  Am I setup for more disappointment?

   You're just replacing one version of the relevant acceleration hardware
that's giving you trouble with another. It seems like it would be much more
effective for you if you just went to a design based on software decoding.
Something like an X2 or a C2D would probably be a better option.

    I'm sure someone else can chime in with minimal working specs based on
their own experiences.

[deletia]