[mythtv-users] Build a robust FE - irritated with IONs

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 23 19:58:37 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:15:49 pm Brian Fischer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > I have a CrystalHD installed in my Revo, not doing anything now,
> > but hoping to be ready for the future.
> >
> > Any Flash content I play through my PlayOn server, which transcodes
> > to something that VDPAU can handle. Of course that's just moving
> > the CPU requirement to a different machine, but that one's in the
> > garage where a noisy beast is acceptable.
>
> I had the same idea for a "work-around" for playing flash on my Myth
> box (Revo 1600).  However, the end result was either extremely low
> quality or playback that stutters.  After checking CPU usage, my
> single core Atom was pegged.  Local videos were playing fine using
> VDPAU.  How do you playback content from PlayOn and how do you force
> a VDPAU compatible stream?

Haven't yet got around to settings up to play PlayOn's output with a
Myth frontend. I can think of a few different ways to do it, just waiting
for the available time to implement some of them and test.

I play back PlayOn content with a Myka device. PLayOn seems to default
to putting out an mpeg2 stream when it does not recognize the playback
device. I originally tried it with an Xbox-360, which worked fine, then
moved to the Myka, which is a Sigma-based playback that handles the
MPEG2 just fine, with far less power than the 360.

PlayOn is running on a fairly fast dual core machine, and my internet
bandwidth is high, I get all greens when everything's set to "auto". The
quality is quite good, not perfect but very watchable.

PlayOn allows access to all my media via the built-in local media
function (not the script, which was an earlier way to do it).

Now, the Myka can find any NFS or Samba share anywhere on my network, so
I don't need PlayOn for local content, just things like Netflix, Hulu,
PBS, Discovery, History and the like.

> Are you sure the CrystalHD was not
> decoding your PlayOn content?

The Revo is just for experimenting at the moment, I installed the B'com
module to try it out, haven't got around to playing with it much so far,
but it seemed like it would be more useful than a WiFi module.