[mythtv-users] Build a robust FE - irritated with IONs

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Thu Dec 23 21:53:12 UTC 2010

 On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 12:58:37 -0700, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:15:49 pm Brian Fischer wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> > I have a CrystalHD installed in my Revo, not doing anything now,
>> > but hoping to be ready for the future.
>> >
>> > Any Flash content I play through my PlayOn server, which
>> transcodes
>> > to something that VDPAU can handle. Of course that's just moving
>> > the CPU requirement to a different machine, but that one's in the
>> > garage where a noisy beast is acceptable.
>> I had the same idea for a "work-around" for playing flash on my Myth
>> box (Revo 1600).  However, the end result was either extremely low
>> quality or playback that stutters.  After checking CPU usage, my
>> single core Atom was pegged.  Local videos were playing fine using
>> VDPAU.  How do you playback content from PlayOn and how do you force
>> a VDPAU compatible stream?
> Haven't yet got around to settings up to play PlayOn's output with a
> Myth frontend. I can think of a few different ways to do it, just
> waiting
> for the available time to implement some of them and test.
> I play back PlayOn content with a Myka device. PLayOn seems to
> default
> to putting out an mpeg2 stream when it does not recognize the
> playback
> device. I originally tried it with an Xbox-360, which worked fine,
> then
> moved to the Myka, which is a Sigma-based playback that handles the
> MPEG2 just fine, with far less power than the 360.
> PlayOn is running on a fairly fast dual core machine, and my internet
> bandwidth is high, I get all greens when everything's set to "auto".
> The
> quality is quite good, not perfect but very watchable.
> PlayOn allows access to all my media via the built-in local media
> function (not the script, which was an earlier way to do it).
> Now, the Myka can find any NFS or Samba share anywhere on my network,
> so
> I don't need PlayOn for local content, just things like Netflix,
> Hulu,
> PBS, Discovery, History and the like.
>> Are you sure the CrystalHD was not
>> decoding your PlayOn content?
> The Revo is just for experimenting at the moment, I installed the
> B'com
> module to try it out, haven't got around to playing with it much so
> far,
> but it seemed like it would be more useful than a WiFi module.

 So my gripes as OP were with having audio sync problems on VDPAU Normal
 - seems like if the gear was up to the task, it wouldn't be an issue.
 Seems to arise with recorded TV content rather than DVDs/rips.  But
 that's the heart of my point, I'm tired of accepting lesser settings,
 (seeing some visible artifacts), audio sync, with VDPAU and SPDIF
 passthru on my IONs.  I mean honestly, with VDPAU and SPDIF passthru (I
 disabled upconverting) you'd expect this playback to kick ass.  Instead,
 I visit my bro-in-law's house with Comcast HD and DVR and it makes my
 kit's performance look flawed.

 PLAYER, OR ANYONE's EFFORT ON DEVELOPMENT (so please don't go there).  I
 love Myth and what it allows me to do.  I just want the PAYOFF in
 certain areas and I've concluded a major defect in my planning was
 certain hardware choices.

 My next machine/TV to build (PC on hand) will be a Revo with the ION GT
 218 hardware.  Am I setup for more disappointment?