[mythtv-users] Advice on re-doing my channels/capture cards

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 16 16:49:01 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 16, 2010 09:21:05 am Harry Devine wrote:
> On 12/16/2010 9:34 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 15, 2010 04:26:38 pm Harry Devine wrote:
> >> I have the HD-PVR, an HDHR, and a pcHDTV-5500 card.  I can't get
> >> anything on the analog portion of the pcHDTV card without a
> >> converter box due to the "enhancements" (cough, cough), so I will
> >> have OTA channels on the pcHDTV card as well as the HDHR.  I know
> >> that I can do the "fetch channels from listing source" deal for
> >> the HD-PVR.
> >
> > So your saying the pcHDTV can't tune the correct analog
> > frequencies? That surprises me, you may not have the correct
> > frequency table selected. A "converter" just translates
> > frequencies, unless you mean one that has some sort of
> > de-scrambling in it.
> >
> > But having said that, the analog portion of a pcHDTV is a simple
> > frame grabber, and requires software encoding. I'd try to find
> > something like a PVR-150 that has on-board mpeg encoding, but if
> > software encoding is working for you I guess it's OK. On-board
> > encoding is also nice for things like VHS tape captures.

> Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but when that "enhancement"
> came about, all I got on the analog channels on that card was green
> static. So I assumed that I needed a DTA converter box for it.  But
> everything I record is available either via the HDHR or HDPVR so I
> wasn't that concerned about it.  In fact, I wasn't planning on
> reintroducing the analog portion back into my new setup.

A "converter" is an analog device, an STB is generally for digital
cable, so I thought you meant you needed a converter to receive analog
channels, which made little sense. Now I think you meant you now needed
an STB to receive the formerly analog channels.

All of your analog may have gone away, and you are receiving the clear
QAM channels with the digital portion of the card. If this is the case
you don't need the analog portion of the 5500.

An HD-PVR requires component (or composite for SD) inputs, which you can
generally only get from an STB.