[mythtv-users] Advice on re-doing my channels/capture cards

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 16 16:21:05 UTC 2010

On 12/16/2010 9:34 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 15, 2010 04:26:38 pm Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> I have the HD-PVR, an HDHR, and a pcHDTV-5500 card.  I can't get
>> anything on the analog portion of the pcHDTV card without a converter
>> box due to the "enhancements" (cough, cough), so I will have OTA
>> channels on the pcHDTV card as well as the HDHR.  I know that I can
>> do the "fetch channels from listing source" deal for the HD-PVR.
> So your saying the pcHDTV can't tune the correct analog frequencies?
> That surprises me, you may not have the correct frequency table
> selected. A "converter" just translates frequencies, unless you mean one
> that has some sort of de-scrambling in it.
>
> But having said that, the analog portion of a pcHDTV is a simple frame
> grabber, and requires software encoding. I'd try to find something like a
> PVR-150 that has on-board mpeg encoding, but if software encoding is
> working for you I guess it's OK. On-board encoding is also nice for
> things like VHS tape captures.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but when that "enhancement" came
about, all I got on the analog channels on that card was green static.
So I assumed that I needed a DTA converter box for it.  But everything I
record is available either via the HDHR or HDPVR so I wasn't that
concerned about it.  In fact, I wasn't planning on reintroducing the
analog portion back into my new setup.

I did put the HDPVR card and channels in last night, but not the HDHR or
DVB stuff yet.  I might do that later tonight.  I was waiting for any

Thanks,
Harry