[mythtv-users] Interesting Reading: Windows Secrets reviews AppleTV and GoogleTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 9 18:05:21 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 09, 2010 10:51:48 am Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 12/9/2010 11:45 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > What the article tells me is that neither an Apple TV or Google TV
> > is what I want.
> >
> > PlayON provides much more, for much less, and of course is not even
> > mentioned in the article.
> >
> > I'm not going to pay $0.99 for a TV show, nor am I going to accept
> > something that's actively being fought by a major programming
> > provider (GoogleTV and Hulu).
>
> Exactly.
>
> But you know we're going to end up a minority again as I think we are
> easily flushed out by the scads of Apple-ites... They will buy just
> cause it's got that logo on it.

There has to be some limit to the amount of money Apple can glean (read:
extort) from it's fans. After you buy an iPhone, an iPad, an iPod, pay
for content from iTunes and shell out for each minor OS upgrade you
don't have much left.

Once again Apple is trying to get a free ride on someone else's
infrastructure, look what they did to AT&T, who is probably doing a
serious re-think about the wisdom of fighting to get the iPhone
exclusive.

> As for the Google platform... Yikes.

Yeah, I expected them to at least do a little better, the Google name
won't carry much weight, and the total lack of standardization will just
confuse the bajeebers out of everyone.

New ideas in communications always seem to lead to bizarre
implementations. Initially the telephoning of Operas and other musical
performances was seen as the way to riches, the idea of two-way
conversations only came later, after a method of charging for it was
developed.