[mythtv-users] Video schema conflicts 0.24+fixes

Mike McMullin mwmcmlln at mnsi.net
Wed Dec 1 08:24:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 09:38 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 12:32 AM, Mike McMullin wrote:
> >> No.  You let it update the MythVideo /frontend/ plugin schema.  There is
> >> no such thing as backend plugins, so all plugin data/schema is frontend.
> >    I seem to be a bit dense Mike, I do appreciate the help, but I think I
> > ought to clarify something, I run a front end on the same system as the
> > back end, and it did not ask about updating the schema, but my laptop,
> > which is running the same version from the same repo is asking.  Is it
> > safe to let it update the schema?  (I'm still remembering the last time
> > I let a front end update stuff.)
>
> If it truly is the same version of MythTV on both the frontend and the
> laptop, then it's safe to let the laptop upgrade the MythVideo schema.

  Here's some cli output on that:
mike at Dads-Laptop:~$ mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version   : es27357
MythTV Branch    : trunk
Network Protocol : 63
Library API      : 0.24.20101124-1
QT Version       : 4.6.2

and on the main system with both FE and BE and database:

mike at P-733-Lin:~$ mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version   : es27357
MythTV Branch    : trunk
Network Protocol : 63
Library API      : 0.24.20101124-1
QT Version       : 4.6.2

mike at P-733-Lin:~$ mythbackend --version
MythTV Version   : es27357
MythTV Branch    : trunk
Network Protocol : 63
Library API      : 0.24.20101124-1
QT Version       : 4.6.2

> It would also indicate one of 2 things--either your update scripts
> didn't properly restart your frontend process*** (so you're running a
> 0.23 frontend against a 0.24 backend, which is a recipe for disaster if
> you continue running it--so well worth exiting the frontend to make
> sure) or your frontend doesn't have MythVideo installed on it (so it
> doesn't know/care about the MythVideo schema).

  I checked that front end and it does have MythVideo installed.

 From the above I gather that both the frontends and the backend are
running the same version 0.24fixes-27357.
  I did note an oddment, I wanted to see what my frontend and backend
logs were saying and while both have a current date/time stamp on them,
the last entries in either was from Nov15,2010, which is about the time
that I did the upgrade.

> *** Note, also, that if the frontend is still running the older version,
> it's possible that the backend is still running the older version
> because it, too, was not restarted properly.  A certain distro's
> packaging scripts have been known to not properly restart things after
> an upgrade, so my recommendation is to reboot the whole frontend/backend
> system--to make sure everything restarts properly.

  My systems get shut down every night, so that problem ought not to
have cropped up.