[mythtv-users] "Hybrid SLI"? Would it help Myth?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 29 01:25:58 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 18:50:55 Matt Beadon wrote:

> I've played with this Express gate a little.  It actually uses a linux core
> on a flash chip on supported motherboards and is more generally known as
> Splashtop.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splashtop
>
> Basically you've got a linux based netbook OS available on your expensive
> motherboard.  I failed to see the usefulness of this on a desktop machine
> but YMMV especially if your machine is located somewhere central in your
> house where you might want to browse the web quickly and then shut down
> again.

The instructions for installing Express Gate say to run the included Windows
program. I should read more about how to get it going, but I also see no need
for it, especially on a desktop, perhaps on a portable, if nothing else it
would speed trips through airports when the TSA people ask you to turn it on,
my G4 iBook running Ubuntu makes that a 10 minute operation to boot up and
shut down.

> Doers anyone know anything pertinent about this "Hybrid SLI" or should I
>
> > just
> > ignore it and use this as a standard motherboard?
>
> According to this thread Hybrid SLI is only available on vista (and my
> guess win7 also).  Nvidia's forums are down right now but the google cache
> has some info:
> http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:gpnBzCxEW8QJ:forums.nvidia.com/index.p
>hp%3Fshowtopic%3D71052+nvidia+hybrid+sli+linux

Not only is nVidia down, but my network connection is playing yo-yo right now,
probably due to a lot of snow outside (I'm in Wyoming). Guess I'll research
it later, but probably just order a GT220.

Thanks.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org