[mythtv-users] How to make a clip from a recording

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 28 23:42:58 UTC 2009

>> >  I have some HDHR recordings that I would like to make some short clips
>> >  from.  I don't want to do any re-encoding, just clip a specified portion
>> >  out.  I tried mencoder with -ss 01:43:00 -endpos 00:01:00 -oac copy -ovc
>> >  copy, but can't get it to work.  After some experimenting, I think it is
>> >  because mencoder can only seek by an amount that will fit in a 32-bit
>> >  integer.  The file is 2 hours and 14GB in size.  mencoder will work if I
>> >  keep the -ss value small enough, but the part I want is well past that.
>> >
>> >  Is there some other simple way to do this.  I would like to be able to
>> >  specify the starting point of the clip (relative to the beginning of the
>> >  program) and how long (or the end point).
>> >
> Dunno if it's as "simple" as you may want, necessarily, but I do this fairly
> regularly with avidemux. I don't know of any means to do up clips in the
> myth editor...
>
> Bob

I've used avidemux with poor results in the past.  avidemux won't do
what I need (I don't think).  I need to preserve the MPEG TS stream
exactly for the portion clipped out.  I do not want to reencode the
video and/or audio.  The purpose of the clips is to give examples of
transmission problems/errors, and reencoding the video and/or audio can
cover these up or change how they appear/sound.

The video is MPEG2 TS video and the audio is AC3 (DD5.1).  Can avi files
even contain AC3 DD5.1 audio?

Jay