[mythtv-users] What's the best way to restore a crashed MythTV 0.21 ?

Andrew Junev a-j at a-j.ru
Sun Nov 29 19:48:27 UTC 2009

Hello Michael,

Saturday, November 28, 2009, 8:28:28 AM, you wrote:

>>>   Is there a way to install MythTV 0.21 from RPMFusion in Fedora 12
>>>   now?
>>>
>>>   Or... Is there any guide to restore 0.21 database on the new 0.22
>>>   MythTV?
>> Just install Fedora 12 and install Mythtv 0.22 and follow the
>> directions at
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
>> to restore your database...

> Agreed.  If you don't have a 0.21-fixes SQL backup, doing a binary
> restore of the MySQL data directory will be very much less reliable,
> especially if your MySQL server version changes.  Therefore, you may
> want to get F11 running, again (or at least F12 with an identical
> version of MySQL server), if you need to make a new backup.

Thanks for the hints! Maybe it was a bad idea, but I just copied all
the database files from my old system to the new one. Surprisingly, it
just worked "as is" - mysql picked up all the data and it seem to be Ok.
I then installed MythTV 0.22 from RPMFusion and ran mythtv-setup,
which upgraded my database to the new version.
And then mythbackend/mythfrontend just started normally.

Is it bad? Should I still drop the database and restart from scratch,
restoring only recorded programs?

Basically, my MythTV seem to work now. I only have a strange issue
displaying any video. Watching LiveTV is always fine, but watching
Recorded Programs gives me a black screen (the sound is there, I can
hear it). Even if I watch and record anything new, I can't watch it
again when I select it in "Watch Recordings" section...

It's also the same with mplayer when it is ran from mythfrontend.
Some movies do playback properly (with both, sound and video), while
others only have sound, and the black screen... Same video files are
always played back without any problems by mplayer if playback is
started directly from Gnome.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? Can it be related to any database
issues?

P.S. I have an Intel 915G integrated graphics on my
mythbackend/mythfrontend. I didn't have a chance to check it on
mythfrontend-only machine with NVidia 8600GT yet...

--
Best regards,
 Andrew