[mythtv-users] What's the best way to restore a crashed MythTV 0.21 ?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sun Nov 29 23:29:42 UTC 2009

Andrew Junev wrote:
> Thanks for the hints! Maybe it was a bad idea, but I just copied all
> the database files from my old system to the new one. Surprisingly, it
> just worked "as is" - mysql picked up all the data and it seem to be Ok.
> I then installed MythTV 0.22 from RPMFusion and ran mythtv-setup,
> which upgraded my database to the new version.
> And then mythbackend/mythfrontend just started normally.
> Is it bad? Should I still drop the database and restart from scratch,
> restoring only recorded programs?

Nah, if it worked at all it should be fine.

The reason for doing a text dump is it's possible that a new
installation of MySQL, especially on a different architecture, might not
be able to read the binary files from a different version of MySQL.  In
my experience it works more often than not, though.  As long as MySQL
doesn't complain about the database files you should be fine.