[mythtv-users] What's the best way to restore a crashed MythTV 0.21 ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Nov 28 05:28:28 UTC 2009

On 11/27/2009 04:14 PM, greg wrote:
> Andrew Junev wrote:
>>   I had some problems upgrading Fedora on my mythbackend from FC8 to
>>   F12. My system drive got corrupted somewhere during upgrade process,
>>   so I decided to reinstall the system completely.
>>
>>   F12 is now up and running, and I still have partially-available
>>   system drive with an old FC8 installation (in case I need some
>>   configuration files from there).
>>
>>   I also have a data drive with some LiveTV recordings and a lot of
>>   videos in the Video Archive. It would be nice to restore the
>>   database in order not to loose this data, including names of the
>>   videos in Video Archive. (Yes, I do have a database backup from my
>>   Myth 0.21).
>>   What's the best way to install MythTV now? My target is to have
>>   MythTV 0.22 running. But I previously had 0.21 installed, so maybe
>>   it's a good idea to install 0.21 first, restore a database and check
>>   that everything is running properly?
>>
>>   Is there a way to install MythTV 0.21 from RPMFusion in Fedora 12
>>   now?
>>
>>   Or... Is there any guide to restore 0.21 database on the new 0.22
>>   MythTV?
> Just install Fedora 12 and install Mythtv 0.22 and follow the
> directions at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
> to restore your database...

Agreed.  If you don't have a 0.21-fixes SQL backup, doing a binary
restore of the MySQL data directory will be very much less reliable,
especially if your MySQL server version changes.  Therefore, you may
want to get F11 running, again (or at least F12 with an identical
version of MySQL server), if you need to make a new backup.

Mike