[mythtv-users] Rebuild with new frontend and upgraded backend.

Mike Dent mcdent at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 22:01:15 UTC 2009

Hi,
I'm looking for advice and opinions on the best way to proceed with my upgrade.

Presently I have a combined fe/be running Ubuntu 8.04. MythTV 0.21 is
installed on here and seems to be working well apart from the odd
lockup of the PC.
I've had some disk errors in the past on this system and it caused
some file system corruption which mostly I was able to fix but it did
leave some things
broken, i.e. entire directories ended up becoming files, /etc/apache
was one of these!
Anyway I've ran with it like this for over a year.

Recently I wanted to move this large and slightly noisy box in to the
garage and use a dedicated Acer Revo frontend in the lounge.

So after some great advice and reading on this list I bought one of
the Linux Acer Revo  3610 Atom 330's. I bought a new 1TB disk for the
back end too.
I also want to add a dual USB tuner which I have bought.

I'm wondering what the best way to approach this is. Do I:-

a) Attempt to upgrade  the 8.04 backend to 8.10 to 9.04 and 9.10 then
install 9.10 on the Revo?
b) Attempt to backup the Myth database and files on the backend and do
a clean install of 9.10 on it, and install 9.10 on the Revo
c) Wipe the whole backend and install 9.10 and start fresh with 0.22 on both
d) Something else?

If I go with a) I guess I will have to upgrade Myth as in b) anyway.
I've read about a few problems with the upgrade on the list, thats why
I wonder if I should
cut my losses and go for a fresh Myth install like c) ?

Anyway I value the opinions of you guys :)

Thanks
Mike