[mythtv-users] Rebuild with new frontend and upgraded backend.

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 07:26:30 UTC 2009

2009/11/26 Mike Dent <mcdent at gmail.com>:

> So after some great advice and reading on this list I bought one of
> the Linux Acer Revo  3610 Atom 330's. I bought a new 1TB disk for the
> back end too.
> I also want to add a dual USB tuner which I have bought.
>
> I'm wondering what the best way to approach this is. Do I:-
>
> a) Attempt to upgrade  the 8.04 backend to 8.10 to 9.04 and 9.10 then
> install 9.10 on the Revo?
> b) Attempt to backup the Myth database and files on the backend and do
> a clean install of 9.10 on it, and install 9.10 on the Revo
> c) Wipe the whole backend and install 9.10 and start fresh with 0.22 on both
> d) Something else?
>
> If I go with a) I guess I will have to upgrade Myth as in b) anyway.
> I've read about a few problems with the upgrade on the list, thats why
> I wonder if I should
> cut my losses and go for a fresh Myth install like c) ?

How important is your recording history (and to a lesser degree,
recording rules to you)? To me at least, that would dictate whether I
continued to use the existing database or started completely afresh. I
would almost always choose option (b) unless the DB was completely
lost, as it is a chance to clear out accumulated cruft (and in your
case, potentially bad files due to your disk issues) yet keep MythTV's
equivalent of a London cabbie's "knowledge".

Is the new 1TB drive purely for recordings? If you are keeping the
drive that previously had errors, are you happy that it is now error
free, or will you be removing it from the backend entirely? If it's a
keeper, check it with the manufacturers relevant diagnostics tool
(likely included on the Ultimate Boot CD).

I've also just built a Revo 3610 on Fedora 12 to replace a 5yr old
Asus Pundit-R frontend, but with 0.21-fixes for the time being until I
get around to upgrading the master backend. No issues so far to report
except:

i) the nouveau driver did not configure out-of-the-box for Xv support,
so I installed the binary nvidia driver, even though I won't initially
be making use of VDPAU
ii) I configured Myth audio to use ALSA:front and control the master
mixer control, as it will be using the analog out with speakers
iii) almost having a Larry David moment when trying to open the DVB-T
tuner packaging

The first two items may be Fedora 12 specific (or just specific to my
install). I am able to watch SD recordings over the 11g wifi
connection without any trouble. It'll be hardwired into the gigabit
network later today when I "retire" the Pundit to a spare room. I
picked up one of the £25 dual DVB-T tuners from Maplin (Vedi branded,
704J model) which was detected fine running the stock 2.6.31 F12
kernel, but requires the installation of firmware. I'll test it later
on today in kaffeine to see how well the tuners work out-of-the-box,
but I'm interested in seeing how well the 3610 works overall as a
combined SDTV Mythbox and at £25 the dual tuner was too good an offer
to refuse.

Cheers,
Nick

--