[mythtv-users] Why does playback only use 1 core on some BluRay movies?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Nov 23 13:56:25 UTC 2009

> The fact that you could play
> Bruno on a dual core with plenty of spare CPU means that movie is rather
> sub-par.

Huh? Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen runs between 35-40 Mbps for
most of the movie, and as I said, once it gets to chapter 4 and starts
multithreaded decoding, it plays back perfectly fine. CPU is typically
65-85% busy on each core, and that's will an older Core 2 Duo  (E6750
2.6 GHz). My Core i7 920 (2.6 Ghz) can almost play back on a single
core with software decoding (some part work fine, but some are
choppy). With an i7-960 (3.2 GHz) smooth single core MIGHT be possible
(or might not....if anyone owns one, I'd love to hear)

> Considering you have a C2D, you almost certainly have an available PCIe
> slot.  VDPAU capable cards can be picked up for as low as $20 after rebate.

Yeah, but I'm still on 0.21 at the moment, and an upgrade would not be
trivial (I have 4 myth systems, and a lot of customizations).
Transcoding is a lot less painful at the moment.