[mythtv-users] PVR-350 won't record without reboot

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Nov 21 13:59:32 UTC 2009

On Saturday 21 November 2009 06:47:31 Will Kennerly wrote:
> My backend has one PVR-350 tuner; the system is running MythTV 0.21 on
> Fedora 11.  I have had this system working well for several years.
>
> Some time ago, I think it was when the ivtv drivers became included in the
> official kernel, things went bad.  After a few recordings, the system would
> stop recording (leaving empty files for the video files).  Only a reboot
> fixes it, but of course, only a few recordings complete successfully.
>
> The error message one sees in mythbackend.log is:
> MPEGRec(/dev/video) Error: select timeout - ivtv driver has stopped
> responding
>
> I've googled around for this.  Apparently many other people have had this
> problem (with other now antiquated PVR-x50 type cards) but I couldn't find
> any obvious common solution.  One person claimed moving the capture card to
> another PCI slot fixed it.  Another claimed getting the bleeding edge ivtv
> drivers to replace the kernel-provided ones worked.  (But I couldn't get
> these to compile - another issue, but I'm not too interested in that unless
> everyone here says that is the definite solution.)
>
> So, any ideas?

The PVR-x50 cards are probably the most-used cards in Myth systems (at least
in the USA). Even with the move to digital, there is still a lot of analog
cable, and the cards are used to record the output of STBs and satellite
receivers.

I would think anything that broke PVR support would be noticed at once, and
cause a flood of messages here.

If it's true that moving PCI slots fixed the problem, it might be
hardware-related in some way (interrupts?).

You have made me nervous about upgrading an SD-only system I use, I think I'll
replace it and keep it as it is, and just build a new system to run 0.22.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org