[mythtv-users] FC8, .21 => Fedora 11, .22: Issues?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Nov 15 06:26:49 UTC 2009

On Nov 15, 2009, at 1:16 AM, stefan_jones at comcast.net wrote:

> My MythBox has been stable and functional for a long time. I'm about to install a new capture card, so I thought it would be a good time to upgrade Fedora (Core 8 to Fedora 11) and MythTV (.21 to .22).
>
> I am resigned to totally reinstalling Fedora. I'm backing up my video partitions and database information.

Wait a few days, and go straight to Fedora 12 instead. (It'll be publicly released on Tuesday).

> My question is the mythconverge format. I remember that my last upgrade (.20 = .21?) involved a big database change. Is there any similar challenge, or complication in going from a several year old version of MySql to the one included in Fedora 11?

Shouldn't be. But I tend to always be running the latest fedora the majority of the time, so most of my mysql version changes have been minor... That said, my db was originally created c. 2003 under mysql 3.x on Red Hat Linux 9, mythtv 0.11-ish or so, and has survived every single upgrade to every single mythtv, mysql and fedora version, all without incident. Backup your db before you do anything, don't nuke your recordings partition, and you should be just fine.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com