[mythtv-users] Massive upgrade headaches continue

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 13 01:44:22 UTC 2009

On 11/12/2009 07:47 PM, Enigma wrote:
> Thanks for the quick replies!  I know a lot of this stuff is not
> directly Myth related, sorry to clutter the list.

Not really a clutter--just made it look like there were a lot of Myth
problems that weren't Myth.  :)

>   I resolved the
> issue with the 1080p output by disabling EDID and uising a custom
> modeline from the Myth wiki.  I removed all the old libs and
> reinstalled the backend, looks like that cleared up the problem with
>
> mtdean at thirdcontact wrote:
>
>>> The main issue that I am having now is that sometimes sound will drop
>>> out when watching a recording and never return.
>>>
>> This happens when using ALSA in such a way that PulseAudio is re-enabled
>> after Myth suspends it (and it will mute when you skip/jump and possibly
>> in other circumstances).
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/397932#397932
> Hmm, I checked the referenced thread and the solution seemed to be
> remove asound.conf, which I don't have. I don't know if it related,
> but when I start playback I get 16 instances of
> AO: dropping back audio_buffer_unused
> in the log.  The only pulseaudio package I appear to have on the
> system is libpulse0, I would love to remove it but it appears that the
> myth packages have it as a dependency (or a reverse dependency, either
> way it wants to remove myth if I remove libpulse).  I assume the
> change from 9/19 (http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/21945) is in
> 0.22-fixes?  Is there a way to purge pulse from a Mythbuntu system to
> avoid this issue?

In that case, you probably aren't running PulseAudio, then.  The
libpulse dependency is to allow Myth to be built in such a way that it
can disable pulse when the user /is/ running Pulse.

So, now I don't know of any reason that you might lose audio--except,
maybe, some lower-level/system configuration issue.

Mike