[mythtv-users] DB charset pre-conversion test failed! Your database seems to be partially corrupted.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 9 18:42:05 UTC 2009

On 11/09/2009 08:54 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 22:25 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Most likely the same problem as:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/406111#406111 (which
>> was missing tables).  Same solution, too.
>>
> OK.  I really, really, hate to have to lose all of the settings that I
> have spent literally years honing and fine-tuning.
>
> Why doesn't the usual database schema upgrade handle this in a more
> graceful, less destructive manner?
>
> Is there something I can while running my 0,21-fixes system to prevent
> this on upgrade?  You say the problem was simply missing tables (but I
> couldn't find reference to which ones).  Can't I just simply create them
> before doing the upgrade?

Let's just put it this way:  If your database is so messed up that
you're missing tables, how can you be sure there's no other breakage.
Note that even if you compare schema to a known, working configuration,
and make yours identical, you still have no idea how broken the /data/
is.  And, since the /whole/ purpose of the database is to store
important data, do you really want broken data...

>   Will installing certain myth
> components/packages create the needed and missing tables?  I'm most
> willing to do that.

No.

> This really is a bug that needs to be fixed in the upgrade, IMHO.  I am
> at least the second person to run into it and making people have to grub
> through the database and lose all of their setting just to upgrade is
> not nice.

I respectfully disagree.  I do not think MythTV should be expected to
handle any issues caused by broken database schemas.  After all, garbage
in/garbage out.

Mike