[mythtv-users] DB charset pre-conversion test failed! Your database seems to be partially corrupted.

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Nov 9 18:55:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 13:42 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Let's just put it this way:  If your database is so messed up that
> you're missing tables, how can you be sure there's no other breakage.

The implication I think was not that the database had gotten "broken" at
some point but just that some add-on, like (say) mythvideo had been
installed and another like (say) mythdvd had not been and therefor the
tables that the latter would have used were never created but that the
assumption was being made that they were there given the presence of the
tables from the former.

I really tend to doubt that my database has simply "broken down".
Everything works just fine.  I'd expect the things that I have installed
and am using would complain if there was general database brokenness.

> Note that even if you compare schema to a known, working configuration,
> and make yours identical, you still have no idea how broken the /data/
> is.

I will still assert that I really doubt that I have a "broken" database
in the sense that you are implying.  Perhaps my database is not
conforming to the schema that the 0.22 database upgrader is assuming,
but I really don't think there is any general brokenness.

> And, since the /whole/ purpose of the database is to store
> important data, do you really want broken data...

Again, I will be VERY surprised if I have "broken data".  As I have
said, *everything* works just fine in 0.21.  Not a single hitch at all
from any of several frontends.  Would you really expect that if there
was general brokenness of the data to the point that it could not be
trusted?

I am much more suspecting of a bug in the database updater, making some
kind of assumption which is just not true in my case, or the other
mentioned case(s).

> >   Will installing certain myth
> > components/packages create the needed and missing tables?  I'm most
> > willing to do that.
> >

> No.

Why do you think that without even having seen what the differences are
between our table list.

> I respectfully disagree.  I do not think MythTV should be expected to
> handle any issues caused by broken database schemas.

I think we are going to discover that my database is not broken, just
not falling into the assumptions that the updater is making.

I certainly don't have any evidence of the error that the updater is
reporting about -- the character set mismatching so there must be some
other issue.

It would be nice if the schema updater could be run independently with
some verbose output to see where it's choking.

b.