[mythtv-users] HD-PVR giving up

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 20:21:58 UTC 2009

> ...sounds like a frontend that doesn't have enough horsepower to play back
> the recording in question. I got a similar result when I tried to play back
> a 720p HDPVR recording on an AppleTV.
>
> [deletia]
>
>   Depending on your frontend gear, you might want to lock your cable box
> into a lower resolution. I had mine at 480p to accomodate my slower
> frontends like the AppleTV.

Jedidiah:

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm running a Q6600, 2.4Ghz quad core, so I don't
think this is a CPU issue.  My OTA recordings at 1080i are rendered fine
without using VDPAU.  I believe that the problem is actually in the
recording itself, not in the playback.  I transferred a small piece of the
video to a Windows laptop and played it with vlc with the same results.  I
haven't played with any of the bitrates available through the v4l-ctl
utility.  This may have some impact on the output.  I'll try to play with
this later.

-- Ken

-- Ken