[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Mar 1 20:49:28 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 01:01:42PM -0500, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 09:21:22AM -0600, Brent Norris wrote:
> >> If Hulu are giving you something for free don't you think that fact
> >> makes it (morally) even more important to obey the conditions they do
> >> impose?
> >
> > No I don't in this case, because their conditions are stupid.  If
> > someone were to give you a car for free, but only if you promise to
> > drive it on gravel roads do you think you would find that dumb?  Would
> > you drive it on whatever roads you wanted to?
>
> To put it into a couple other perspectives....
>
> What if you think that the GPL is stupid?  MythTV is given away for
> free with certain stipulations.  You have a license to use it as long as
> you agree to those stipulations.  If you think they are stupid, then

    Nope. The GPL requires no "license" for use.

    That's part of what makes this all seem so absurd.

[deletia]

    The GPL only deals with the very standard rights reserved
under copyright law. Beyond the creation of derivatives (which
are core parts of copyright), the license makes no attmempt to
expand the control of authors into strange new areas. Infact,
it strives to reduce the ability of authors to screw around with
the end user.

    The GPL is no virtual land grab like most modern EULAs are.

    Also, the non-discriminatory nature of the GPL is probably
what makes many MythTV users inclined to find attempts by Hulu
to discriminate so offensive. It's inherently anti-social.

    Ultimately, tolerance and encouragement of "artistic megalomania"
will cause all technology like MythTV cease to exist. The media moguls
will have their way and the only way you will ever experience culture
(popular or otherwise) will be in some sort of pay-per-view scheme.