[mythtv-users] vdpau sanity check

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Sun Jun 28 03:34:45 UTC 2009

Bill Williamson wrote:
>>> DELETIA: Stuff about HDMI audio to TVs <<
>
> My understanding is that the optical audio output on HDTVs is for one,
> and only one, purpose:
>
> If you have a surround receiver and a TV with an HD tuner then that
> port WILL PASS dolby digital to your receiver while using that
> internal tuner on HD channels with 5.1 audio.  Nothing more, nothing
> less.  It's not intended as a de-multiplexer for HDMI audio, as
> they're assuming you will go device->receiver->tv if you want

*snip*

While that would be nice, in my case I don't expect the set to reencode
DolbyHD to DTS or any such thing.  What I would expect would be that the
set to act as a pass through at the very least.  What I am seeing
currently with mine is exactly what it in the manual:  If the audio is
from a digital source (HDMI in this case), it only sends out 2 channel,
even if the original stream is DTS or AC3, which the optical has the
bandwidth for.