[mythtv-users] vdpau sanity check

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Fri Jun 26 22:35:14 UTC 2009

>>DELETIA: Stuff about HDMI audio to TVs <<

My understanding is that the optical audio output on HDTVs is for one,
and only one, purpose:

If you have a surround receiver and a TV with an HD tuner then that
port WILL PASS dolby digital to your receiver while using that
internal tuner on HD channels with 5.1 audio.  Nothing more, nothing
less.  It's not intended as a de-multiplexer for HDMI audio, as
they're assuming you will go device->receiver->tv if you want
something else handling the sound.  I think the fact that it outputs
even 2 channel stereo when HDMI is plugged in is more of a side effect
of their internal processing than an intended feature.