[mythtv-users] DCH-6416 Firewire capture

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Sun Jun 14 17:03:16 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Eric Sharkey<eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> I just tried upgrading my kernel to 2.6.29 with the new stack (and
> libraw1394 2.0.2) and I can't seem to get MythTV 0.21 to recognize
> that my STB exists.  After returning to 2.6.26.5 with the old stack
> it's back.

It looks like it was at least partly a permissions issue.  The new
stack uses /dev/fw* rather than /dev/raw1394 and I didn't have the
right permissions on the new device files.  With that fixed, I can
change channels and at least attempt to watch something, but all it
says is that there was an error when trying to get the video.  Again,
returning to the old kernel fixes it.

Eric