[mythtv-users] distro

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 3 15:11:40 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 03 June 2009 08:50:50 Johnny wrote:
> > Thanks Johnny,
> >
> >     It sounds as if Ubuntu doesn't lag that much behind Debian Sid
> > (unstable) then, which I am using now through Sidux. The reason I like
> > Sidux so much is that it's rolling, so I never have to worry about a new
> > version, just keep up to date through the Sidux scripts. Guessing version
> > to version upgrades in Ubuntu are fairly trivial??
>
> Yes it should be a smooth transition. If you are feeling really
> adventurous I believe you can even do a straight upgrade from Sid to
> Ubuntu using some apt magic and changing the repos. Although you are
> most likely asking for trouble if you attempt something like that.
> Doing Ubuntu distribution upgrades is fairly straight forward. My last
> one from 8.10 to 9.04 consisted of clicking OK in a gui, clicking
> yes/no about keeping a couple of config files, and waiting 45 minutes.
> Everything worked fine immediately after the update.

For you, perhaps. I'm aware of at least a couple of people who wound up with
totally borked systems by "clicking OK in a GUI".

Of course, they violated the prime directive of system updates: Backup, backup
and backup again.

If you're talking about a home "hobbyist" system, that's one thing, but any
mission-critical system operator would be nuts to use anything marked
as "unstable", which includes all of Ubuntu, since it is based on a Debian
release clearly labeled "unstable".

We all want the latest features, and support for the latest devices, but such
support comes at a price, which is usually stability.

Even if an unstable release works for you, that doesn't mean it will work for
everyone, under all circumstances.

But of course everyone is welcome to try anything, just be aware of the
potential danger if you trust anything important to it.

Of course, I do not consider TV to be "important", in that context, but if my
bank were to send me an email telling me they had switched to a system less
than a month old to manage my accounts, I'd pull my money out immediately.

--
beww
beww at beww.org