[mythtv-users] myblaster and new dish stb. *sigh*

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Thu Jul 23 19:50:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 3:14 PM, drew einhorn <drew.einhorn at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Jeff<junk_inbox at verizon.net> wrote:
> > The only time you'd 'have' to use UHF on a dish receiver is if it didn't
> > have IR receivers, or the 2nd tuner on a dual-tuner box - but that would
> be
> > less-than-optimal anyways as the 2nd tuner only has RF output from what I
> > remember.  :-(
>
> Depends on the model the dish vip 722, tv2 has composite/analog audio out,
> in addition to the rf output.

Well, composite is better than RF output...  ;-)   I don't think the 2nd
tuner can be set to work with IR, but if it can, you're all set.  (I think
if you set it to codeset 1 through 9 it still will only respond to them if
received via UHF, but I'm not positive...)

> the 522 also has a dvr that really sucks.  I'm building a myth box
> to take over the dvr functions.

The 510 isn't horrible, but nowhere near as nice as MythTV.  So I'm using it
as a simple tuner for Myth as well.  ;-)
(I used to have 3 DishPlayer 7200's with Dish for the first 5 years of my
service - awesome PVRs for their time.)

Don't see much in the wiki about dish network.

There is a page about Dish LIRC configuration - I reference it below.

> Any more advice or comments about dish network, configuration,
> hardware, software, etc.?
> Drew Einhorn

  I currently use 3 Dish receivers (A 510 'pvr', 3800 and 3900) with my
MythTV system, feeding S-Video and Analog audio into Hauppauge tuner cards
(A PVR-500 and a PVR-250).  I control them with one instance of LIRC, and
each box set to a different IR codeset.

  The wiki page below has a good writeup on using LIRC with Dish receivers,
which can be set up to 16 different IR codesets.  I use this with my setup,
with one LIRC instance with 3 'blaster' eyes (a home-made buffered blaster
based on the one on the lirc.org site), and each receiver set to a different
code.  (I use Codes 1, 6 and 9)
  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DISHNetworkLIRCConfiguration

  The only change that I think I had to make to this file was that my dish
receivers used a frequency of 40000, not 56000.  (IIRC, They would not
respond at 56Khz, and I verified with an oscilloscope that the real carrier
frequency of a standard dish remote was 40Khz)

  I'd be happy to share my channel-change scripts, etc to help you out.
(Gee, maybe I should create a wiki page and/or update the page above? -
There's a thought...)

J-e-f-f-A