[mythtv-users] HD Content (???/InternetTV/Digital) in Japan on MythTV - Is it possible?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jan 29 21:26:23 UTC 2009

David Bennett wrote:
> I fear that is a no :(
> Dave
>
> 2009/1/13 David Bennett <davidbennett1979 at gmail.com>
>
>> Hello!
>> It has been awhile since I posted to this list. Been running on analog
>> tuners in Japan (HPV-500) for quite some time.
>> Our apartment has moved over to HD Digital Channels and I am not having any
>> luck.
>>
>> Simple question: Is there anyway to get HD content working with MythTV in
>> Japan.
>> I am open to any options:
>>
>> 1) HD Tuner Card and Standard Digital Channels
>> 2) Internet TV with some sort of Firewire option out
>> 3) Cable or Internet TV provider
>>
>> If anyone has any idea how to get any sort of satellite, Internet, Cable,
>> Digital TV signal and guide working working with MythTV in Japan, I am open
>> for suggestions!
>> At this point willing to try anything.
>>
>> Look forward to any tips or pointers.

The first question is how is the HD Digital signal delivered?

If you can just connect the cable to your TV, and the TV tunes and shows
digital, then you are (presently) out of luck. You need a digital card
such as the PCHD5000 (or equivalent for PAL if that is what is used in
Japan (NTSC-M though???)).
If your cable is fed through a set-top-box, then you need to deal with
the output from that box. You should be able to feed S-Video to the
PVR-500 but that downgrades from HD to SD. You may be able to obtain
firewire output from the box. You may be able to use component video
out, fed to a Hauppauge  HD-1212 which digitizes the signal.

Need more information to do any more than guess. I suggest you troll
through the wiki, as there are lots of pages of information about this
sort of situation.
Geoff