[mythtv-users] Lirc and remotes... and DVD playback menu

Douglas Mayle dmayle at dmayle.com
Thu Jan 29 17:18:08 UTC 2009

On Jan 29, 2009, at 11:42 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2009, at 8:22 AM, Douglas Mayle wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I just finished getting my myth setup functional, and I'm very
>> happy with it...  I do have one small issue with my remote
>> however...  I have a button marked Pause/Play, and no actual Pause
>> button.  Unfortunately, this means I have no way to pause in the
>> video viewer (triggering instead a bookmark)...  Is there any way
>> to get my play button (currently mapped to space) to perform double
>> duty?  Also, on those lines, I use the menu button for Escape,
>> since there's no way to actually exit without it...  Anyway to
>> combine menu and escape on the DVD?
>
> So, you're asking mythtv to think about the key you pressed and make
> a decision that you want to display a menu instead of exiting out of
> a screen? But only sometimes because other times you actually do
> want to exit out of what you're doing and not display a menu. No, I
> don't believe you'll find that functionality. :) It sounds like you
> need a remote with more buttons.
Well, I figured that the menu and not escape was not going to happen,
but I don't find it unreasonable to combine play and pause...  You're
right, I could use more buttons, but for now I'm stuck with what I
have...  After some research, it seems I can get what I need by
remapping keys with MythWeb...

>> My last question is with regards to the OSD for DVD playback... On
>> my TV, the "Next Title" text shows up too small and antialiases in
>> a strange way... I've tried changing the OSD setting in the TV
>> player settings, but that seems to be separate.  Is there any way
>> to configure the DVD OSD?
>
> Not sure what you mean. Are you sure you're using the Internal
> player for DVDs and not an external player like xine or mplayer?
My mistake, I just needed to set the font to bold...