[mythtv-users] Lirc and remotes... and DVD playback menu

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Jan 29 22:06:17 UTC 2009

Douglas Mayle <dmayle at dmayle.com> says:
> I do have one small issue with my remote however...  I have a button
> marked Pause/Play, and no actual Pause button.

Your language isn't quite clear, but I think you're saying that your
remote has a Pause/Play button, no Play button, and no Pause button.

If so, you want to set, from within the mythcontrols plugin (MythWeb
never ever worked right for me in setting keybindings):

* TV Frontend|PLAYBACK to the Pause/Play button
* TV Playback|PAUSE to the Pause/Play button
* TV Playback|PLAY to nothing

Pause/Play will now perform double duty, playing recordings from Watch
Recordings and acting as a toggle during playback.

> Is there any way to get my play button (currently mapped to space)
> to perform double duty?

If you mean that you have Pause/Play *and* Play buttons, then you want
to set:

* TV Frontend|PLAYBACK to Play
* TV Playback|PAUSE to Pause/Play
* TV Playback|PLAY to Play (or nothing)

Now you can use Pause/Play for something else outside recording
playback. I personally use it for TV Frontend|UPCOMING.

> Unfortunately, this means I have no way to pause in the video viewer
> (triggering instead a bookmark)...

As an aside, I know there is a keybinding to jump to a bookmark during
playback but, have yet to need to use it or the bookmark feature in
more than three years of MythTV, aside from the auto bookmark-setting
(which really need to be the default; I don't think it is) when
exiting a recording of course.

> Also, on those lines, I use the menu button for Escape, since
> there's no way to actually exit without it...

Your remote doesn't even have a Stop button? That's what I use for
Escape.

You do need more buttons on your remote, though. I'd say that any
MythTV remote ought to have, at a minimum,

Play
Stop

Up/Down/Left/Right

Menu
Enter or Select

0-9
Channel Up/Channel Down
Volume Up/Volume Down

Again, this is the absolutely-positively, rock-bottom, $0.99
cents-store minimum. Enormous flexibility would come from also having

Record
Rewind/Fast Forward
Pause
Select or Enter
Prev Channel
Skip Left
Skip Right
Mute

Any of the above can be softkeys, of course. But the fact that my URC
MX-500/MX-600 amply fulfills the above through hardkeys is part of the
reason why I like it so much, although it wouldn't be my first choice
nowadays
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/366098#366098>).

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array