[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 13:38:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> However, you may be disappointed with the end result.
> I have a Sony Bravia 46" XBR ; and as this TV does such a magnificent
> job at deinterlacing , I thought I should disable the mythtv
> deinterlacer, set the refresh rate at say 576i on the TV and let the
> Sony does the deinterlacing job...
>
> For one reason or another, it didn't and it looked awful, like no
> deinterlacing happened at all..
> Seems that Sony deinterlacer and motion engine (as they call it) is
> only active when using the build-in tuner. But yes I agree: the Sony
> does a great job.
>
> So far, the only good deinterlacer I've found are the ones provided by VDPAU
>
> Jean-Yves

I'll bet your poor results with disabling deinterlacing are due to the
fact that the nvidia drivers don't output interlaced content
correctly.  Like everyone else with a native 1080i TV (I have a RPCRT)
I shouldn't need any deinterlacing at all, but without it I get awful
tearing.  It's funny, I always though of that as an issue that only
affects owners of 1080i native TVs...and I assumed that's why nVidia
has ignored it altogether...but it never occured to me that those with
superior deinterlacing in their TVs should be able to disable it
(saving all that CPU usage) as well.

This is why it's hard for me to get too exited about VDPAU, even
though it does sound really great.  I don't like the idea of depending
on nVidias proprietary crap for anything more than I have to...I just
recently stopped using opengl vsync (in favor or RTC) as it was
causing lockups on my system.  They've _never_ even acknowledged that
1080i issue in spite of years of threads about in on their forum.  Not
to mention their drivers appear to be getting buggier all the time.
Personally I'm more looking forward to the day when there's a good
non-nVidia solution for HD vi DVI or HDMI.

Tom