[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Jan 29 13:22:14 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> says:
> Mind you, I think the "advanced" deinterlacer in mythtv with vdpau
> does a better job than Temporal...

Good to hear.

> If you've been happy with Bob over the past 3 years, you're going to
> be very surprised on how good it is... Or maybe, that you could
> actually find Bob okay for so long is a worry :)

I guess it's more accurate to say that Bob is the best deinterlacer I
can use (since I don't have the CPU power for Greedy or Yadif on HD)
but, yes, I have been quite happy with it. I know that Bob is
essentially line doubling, and can see the resulting "shimmering" if I
look closely at the OSD, or certain cartoons (before I switched to
Yadif for non-SD recordings). But the smoothness of HD video pans with
Bob and my 59.94Hz 1080p modeline just can't be matched by linear
blend, one field, or my flat panel's deinterlacer. I am very much
curious as to just how much better VDPAU's deinterlacing methods will
be.

> Why don't you wait and try before making a decision ?
> and the 8400gs is rather cheap anyway..

I suppose that's what I'll end up doing. I do feel silly about now
having bought my *fourth* Nvidia card (6200, 5300, 7300, and now 8400)
for the same frontend without any of them actually needing to be
replaced, though.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array