[mythtv-users] VPDAU and Nvidia GPU running on non-Nvidia motherboard?

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Wed Jan 28 21:01:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:13:04AM -0800, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > 2009/1/28 R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org>:
> >> It is everything to do with the driver. I wouldn't say '...causes Mythtv to
> >> be compiled....no longer work'. Myth compiled in a straightforward manner
> >> without error. But Mythyv thereafter failed to play properly.
> >
> > I can understand while it would break the code if you installed the
> > full nvidia drivers as it replaces system include files and libraries.
>
> Yes, that was the problem. It is not made clear anywhere in the README
> that the driver will install files, using the same names as standard
> files, but containing non-standard extras..

Try Chapter 5: Listing of Installed Components
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/180.25/README/chapter-05.html

It sounds like you're complaining about the fact that the driver installs a
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.  This path is specified by the OpenGL ABI for Linux
and isn't something we can change, but you can tell the installer to put it
somewhere else with the --opengl-prefix and --opengl-libdir options.  You
can also use --no-opengl-headers to disable installation of headers to
/usr/include/GL/*.

Finally, the driver install is supposed to fail if there are no NVIDIA GPUs
in the system.  If it didn't, there might be a bug in the installer.