[mythtv-users] VPDAU and Nvidia GPU running on non-Nvidia motherboard?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Jan 28 19:13:04 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/1/28 R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org>:
>> It is everything to do with the driver. I wouldn't say '...causes Mythtv to
>> be compiled....no longer work'. Myth compiled in a straightforward manner
>> without error. But Mythyv thereafter failed to play properly.
>
> I can understand while it would break the code if you installed the
> full nvidia drivers as it replaces system include files and libraries.

Yes, that was the problem. It is not made clear anywhere in the README
that the driver will install files, using the same names as standard
files, but containing non-standard extras..

I'm not running on Ubuntu. I am on Fedora 10, using SVN trunk so your
patches won't work for me (they might, but not likely).

> But not using the ubuntu package I've published, the vdpau libraries
> are independent of the nvidia drivers so you can safely install those
> without breaking your existing system...

> Unfortunately, I don't think the ATrpms nvidia package separated the
> vdpau libraries and made them a separate install.. Would need to ask
> Axel to look into that ... He responds very quickly and is very
> efficient , so I have no doubt it won't be a problem for him..
>
> Jean-Yves

I am not using ATRPMS for the nvidia driver or vdpau code.

Geoff