[mythtv-users] VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes

Mark Buechler mark.buechler at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 15:03:44 UTC 2009

Hi

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Larry Sanderson
<larry.sanderson at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 January 2009 09:32:04 am Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard
> > If you want to track comments/tickets/bugs, set up your own
> > Trac for what essentially is your own fork/custom version of MythTV.
>

> Do you want the user community to fork mythtv? If so, then keep turning
> away highly useful community provided patches.
>

> The devs should be welcoming this work. Instead of: "We proclaimed on high
> that 0.21-fixes shall not have X feature", perhaps instead your stance
> should be "We thought it would be too much work to backport/maintain this
> feature, but look! Someone did the work for us, thanks so much."
>

> Please don't forget what the "open" in open source means.

I thought I'd throw my two cents in here. The 0.21-fixes branch is meant for
exactly what it's named after - fixes. It is a branch of the stable release
meant ONLY for fixes to that branch. If the developers were to maintain new
features in both trunk and previous branches, they'd be splitting their time
senselessly.

What you fail to understand is that just because a patch is submitted, the
work isn't done by far. That patch needs to be reviewed, tested, benchmarked
and approved. These steps take time - especially for any VDPAU
implementation. It's not exactly fair to all users either.

Let's assume the patch gets added to -fixes without the review process, and
though it works for those seeking VDPAU, it breaks some features used by
other users. Now you've turned a stable branch into an unstable one.

- Mark.