[mythtv-users] VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Tue Jan 27 16:51:25 UTC 2009

Michael Tiller schreef op 27-1-2009 17:25:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com
> <mailto:kkuphal at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     No one is denying Jean's work.  I think it's great.  But don't
>     expect the -devs to support every backport of a development feature
>     to a stable revision.  The people that want this should know plain
>     and simply in no uncertain terms that what they're running is
>     outside the scope of MythTV.  And this isn't "my stance" in any
>     official capacity.  I'm just saying that I get why the ticket was
>     closed and why it shouldn't have needed a big explanation.  Jean
>     knew what he was doing and I'm sure he did it all with the best of
>     intentions.  It just wasn't the proper place for tracking issues
>     with his patch.
>

> Big explanation?  Sure, but how about some explanation?
>
> Jean, I (for one) salute you!  Thank you for your efforts.  I saw the
> original post before anybody had a chance to reply and I thought...Oh
> boy, this is going to cause s sh*t storm (despite the fact that you took
> great pains to make your intentions clear).  I agree with people who are
> scratching their heads asking "what kind of open source project is this?".
>
> To me the issue is much more about the relationship with the community.
>
> I've never seen anybody show anything but the utmost respect for
> developers (although I'm sure there are cases, but they are IMHO a
> minority) and yet users seem to be often treated as ungrateful whiners.
> It is certainly my impression that the developer group here has a
> certain degree of contempt for the users (or even the more casual
> developers) and that is unfortunate.  Closing Jean's ticket without any
> explanation?  Who acts that way?  Now, is this contempt real?  I don't
> know.  If not, it makes the perception all the more sad.
>
> One final note...this thread has gotten so long that people aren't
> reading the whole thing.  Jean never implied that the developers should
> incorporate his changes into the code base.  So please stop accusing him
> of that.  The only thing he wanted was a single ticket in the Trac site
> to help him keep track of issues related to his self-proclaimed
> unofficial patch.
>
> --
> Mike

The last message posted by Stuart Morgan on the dev-list sums it up very
nicely, trac isn't to be used for patches/features that are developed by
3rd-party developers and won't be comitted.
Main reason it's a lot of work to follow the list provided by trac and
there's always a part of the users opening bugreports on trac for the
3rd-party patch/feature they are using.

He also states that it's not a personal attack or something, just
cleaning up the trac-database so that real problems can be tackled.

I think putting it the wiki would be ok with linking to either trac or
preferrably the website of the writer.

Some of the things Jean-Yves put up in the past(lirc and lcdproc on a
silverstone LC16) have helped me quite a lot and it would be a shame not
being able to use it.

Regards,

Jos Hoekstra