[mythtv-users] Problems testing my card.

Batshua bat Yehonatan batshua at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 03:56:47 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Kevin J. Cummings <
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

> Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Kevin J. Cummings <
>> cummings at kjchome.homeip.net <mailto:cummings at kjchome.homeip.net>> wrote:
>>
>>    Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:
>>
>>        So, right now it's coax to converter box.  There's one coax
>>        cable going from the wall into the box, and one coax cable going
>>        from the box into my tuner card.  Is that the "wrong" setup such
>>        that I will have unsuccessful attempts at finding channels?
>>

>>    I think that you will only find the channel that the box is tuned to.
>>    But, once again, you have avoided the question, what is the box
>>    producing?  Analog or digital signal?
>>

>> Box is digital.
>>

> Doesn't answer the question.  You have a digital signal going in.  What
> comes out????

I haven't the faintest.  I thought it was reasonable to assume that if
digital is what goes in, then digital is what comes out.  How do I find that
out?

>     My box from RCN takes a coax in from the "wall" and sends a coax to
>>    my analog TV.  The output is an NTSC signal on channel 3.  When I
>>    tune my TV to channel 3, I can watch whatever channel the cable box
>>    is tuned to watch.
>>
>>    What are you expecting your cable box to produce for output?
>>

>> I'm not sure what you're asking.  Are you asking what level of
>> functionality I am expecting should the box be connected to the PVR?  Or are
>> you asking what kind of connection I would be using?
>>

> I'm asking if you know what the connections are.  You obviously don't. You
> are making some assumptions here and not realizing it.  I'm trying to point
> them out to you so that you will better understand the problem you are
> trying to figure out.

Yup, and I'm still lost.  Working on it, though!

>        Should I instead be using a coax splitter?
>>
>>    Using how?
>>

>> Sorry, I was under the impression you meant to connect a coax splitter to
>> the wall output so that both the tuner and the box were connected to the
>> wall.  Nevermind that.
>>        I imagine then all I'll get is OTA, which sure is better than
>>        what I'm getting now (literally nothing), but obviously, if the
>>        converter box will play nice and let me watch, you know, Cable
>>        TV, that would be ideal.
>>

>>    I know the cable box will let you watch cable TV, that's its purpose.
>>    It will succeed when you have everything cabled up correctly.  We're
>>    in the process of getting you set up correctly.
>>
>>    I feel a little bit like the hologram in "I, Robot".  My programming
>>    is limited, you will have to ask the right questions.
>>

>>        I'm still in the very early stages of setting up.  The OS sees
>>        the tuner card.  Everything is hooked up.  Am I starting in the
>>        wrong place by trying to use scan?  Where should I be going from
>>        here?
>>

>>    I would start by plugging the cable from the wall directly into you
>>    turner card and do a channel scan.  That will tell you what
>>    unencrypted on your cable that can be tuned directly.
>>
>>    wall <==coax==> tuner card
>>
>>    If you wish to view/record any of the encrypted channels, you will
>>    need to change your setup to include your convertor box.
>>
>>    wall <==coax==> converter-box <==coax==> tuner
>>
>>    In the second case, your tuner card will only see what the convertor
>>    presents to it (it does *not* un-encrypt everything at once, it only
>>    un-encrypts the single channel it is tuned to, and only if it
>>    beleives you are subscribed to receive that channel).  It will send
>>    to your TV
>>    (or in this case your tuner card) only the channel that it is tuned to.
>>    How it sends that channel depends on how it was designed.  If its
>>    like my convertor box, it'll send it on NTSC channel 3 (or 4,
>>    sometimes they have a switch in the back to be able to select
>>    which).  Other more modern boxes might have a component-out which
>>    can be fed directly into your (newer) digital TV.  I haven't seen a
>>    convertor box which outputs an ATSC signal (they may exist, I
>>    haven't seen one).  So, if you are doing this setup, you need to
>>    know how to configure your tuner card to properly receive the signal
>>    from your convertor box.
>>

>>    Does this make sense?
>>

>> Oh, okay, so on your system, it's plugged in old-timey VCR style.  Our TV
>> gets its channels in on a component channel.
>>
>> So, the plan then is to connect PVR directly to the wall-cable, and what,
>> run scan again and go from there?
>>

> That would be a starting point.  It may not be your final setup, but it
> will help you get started.

So, I'm gonna go do that and see what happens.  :)