[mythtv-users] Problems testing my card.

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Jan 26 03:24:26 UTC 2009

Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Kevin J. Cummings
> <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net <mailto:cummings at kjchome.homeip.net>> wrote:
>
>     Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:
>
>         So, right now it's coax to converter box.  There's one coax
>         cable going from the wall into the box, and one coax cable going
>         from the box into my tuner card.  Is that the "wrong" setup such
>         that I will have unsuccessful attempts at finding channels?
>

>     I think that you will only find the channel that the box is tuned to.
>     But, once again, you have avoided the question, what is the box
>     producing?  Analog or digital signal?
>

> Box is digital.

Doesn't answer the question.  You have a digital signal going in.  What
comes out????

>     My box from RCN takes a coax in from the "wall" and sends a coax to
>     my analog TV.  The output is an NTSC signal on channel 3.  When I
>     tune my TV to channel 3, I can watch whatever channel the cable box
>     is tuned to watch.
>
>     What are you expecting your cable box to produce for output?
>

> I'm not sure what you're asking.  Are you asking what level of
> functionality I am expecting should the box be connected to the PVR?  Or
> are you asking what kind of connection I would be using?

I'm asking if you know what the connections are.  You obviously don't.
You are making some assumptions here and not realizing it.  I'm trying
to point them out to you so that you will better understand the problem
you are trying to figure out.

>         Should I instead be using a coax splitter?
>

>     Using how?
>

> Sorry, I was under the impression you meant to connect a coax splitter
> to the wall output so that both the tuner and the box were connected to
> the wall.  Nevermind that.
>
>         I imagine then all I'll get is OTA, which sure is better than
>         what I'm getting now (literally nothing), but obviously, if the
>         converter box will play nice and let me watch, you know, Cable
>         TV, that would be ideal.
>

>     I know the cable box will let you watch cable TV, that's its purpose.
>     It will succeed when you have everything cabled up correctly.  We're
>     in the process of getting you set up correctly.
>
>     I feel a little bit like the hologram in "I, Robot".  My programming
>     is limited, you will have to ask the right questions.
>

>         I'm still in the very early stages of setting up.  The OS sees
>         the tuner card.  Everything is hooked up.  Am I starting in the
>         wrong place by trying to use scan?  Where should I be going from
>         here?
>

>     I would start by plugging the cable from the wall directly into you
>     turner card and do a channel scan.  That will tell you what
>     unencrypted on your cable that can be tuned directly.
>
>     wall <==coax==> tuner card
>
>     If you wish to view/record any of the encrypted channels, you will
>     need to change your setup to include your convertor box.
>
>     wall <==coax==> converter-box <==coax==> tuner
>
>     In the second case, your tuner card will only see what the convertor
>     presents to it (it does *not* un-encrypt everything at once, it only
>     un-encrypts the single channel it is tuned to, and only if it
>     beleives you are subscribed to receive that channel).  It will send
>     to your TV
>     (or in this case your tuner card) only the channel that it is tuned to.
>     How it sends that channel depends on how it was designed.  If its
>     like my convertor box, it'll send it on NTSC channel 3 (or 4,
>     sometimes they have a switch in the back to be able to select
>     which).  Other more modern boxes might have a component-out which
>     can be fed directly into your (newer) digital TV.  I haven't seen a
>     convertor box which outputs an ATSC signal (they may exist, I
>     haven't seen one).  So, if you are doing this setup, you need to
>     know how to configure your tuner card to properly receive the signal
>     from your convertor box.
>

>     Does this make sense?
>

> Oh, okay, so on your system, it's plugged in old-timey VCR style.  Our
> TV gets its channels in on a component channel.
>
> So, the plan then is to connect PVR directly to the wall-cable, and
> what, run scan again and go from there?

That would be a starting point.  It may not be your final setup, but it
will help you get started.

> I think I'm starting to understand your strange new language,

It can't be that new, I'm an old timer.  I remember a time before there
was color TV and everything was B&W....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com