[mythtv-users] Mythtv, Gentoo, DVB and 2.6.28 kernel not compiling

jk90090 jk90090 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 18:08:08 UTC 2009

Tom Dexter wrote:
> I'm running on Gentoo, but haven't upgraded to 2.6.28 yet. Looking at
> that patch, it certainly appears that it will get past that version
> check.  However the big question I have is whether DVB_API_VERSION 5
> in 2.6.28 is actually supported.  I see no mention of it searching the
> dev list.
>
> I'm surprised at how many Gentoo users seem to use unstable kernels,
> let alone the unstable version of portage itself (which is required
> for the mythtv-0.21_p19046 ebuild due to its use of EAPI 2)....more
> bold than I care to be.
>
> Tom
In all fairness to Gentoo users, 2.6.28.1 is the current stable kernel,
regardless of which ebuild is marked as stable for Gentoo x86, 64, or
other...  I particularly moved to it because I wanted to start some
testing with ext4 (bugs or not).

Of course, I've gone even farther and loaded up Xorg 1.5, which seems
stable for MythTV use.
The Lirc 0.8.3 ebuild doesn't like the 2.6.28 kernel, as it has an oops
often, however the unstable ebuild 0.8.4 works perfectly to date...

Yes, I'm a little more bleeding edge, but I'm willing to find and report
the bugs that need fixing...