[mythtv-users] Mythtv, Gentoo, DVB and 2.6.28 kernel not compiling

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 17:47:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 4:07 AM, Janne Grunau <janne-mythtv at grunau.be> wrote:
> On Friday 23 January 2009 03:18:35 jk90090 wrote:
>> So, I'll admit I haven't updated my Mythtv install in a few months, nor
>> my kernel in a bit, but just this past week I've run into a bit of
>> trouble trying to emerge the latest stable mythtv package,
>> mythtv-0.21_p19046 .  The story goes that I updated to the 2.6.28
>> kernel, then tried to emerge the mythtv update, and it now fails to
>> detect the DVB 3.1 or higher source in dvbtype.h :
>>
>> warning: #warning *DVB* API version < *3*.*1*, ATSC over *DVB* will
>>
>> warning: #warning ATSC will not be supported using
>> the Linux DVB drivers
>
> Does the attached patch fixes it?
>
> Janne

I'm running on Gentoo, but haven't upgraded to 2.6.28 yet.  Looking at
that patch, it certainly appears that it will get past that version
check.  However the big question I have is whether DVB_API_VERSION 5
in 2.6.28 is actually supported.  I see no mention of it searching the
dev list.

I'm surprised at how many Gentoo users seem to use unstable kernels,
let alone the unstable version of portage itself (which is required
for the mythtv-0.21_p19046 ebuild due to its use of EAPI 2)....more
bold than I care to be.

Tom