[mythtv-users] ext4 vs XFS for mythbuntu

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 14:54:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 5:07 AM, Mike Holden <mythtv at mikeholden.org> wrote:

> jarpublic at gmail.com wrote:
> > Here is a good write up with some benchmarks and real world tests
> > comparing
> > ext3, ext4, and XFS. Performance wise it looks like a really good match
> > for
> > a mythtv setup. As others have said it is up to you weather you want to
> > take
> > the risk of using a newer file system. I am tempted to give it a try when
> > update my ubuntu box to 9.04.
>
> I tried ext4 for a while on a pilot myth backend under Fedora 9 and had
> several corruption problems. Went back to other file systems (ext3,
> reiser, jfs) and have had no problems since.
> --

Was this before the 2.6.28 kernel was released and the devs declared ext4
stable? I know that them declaring it stable is no guarantee, but before
they declared it stable basically means there were still known bugs or
features missing. So having problems with an unstable release of ext4 would
be no surprise.