[mythtv-users] ext4 vs XFS for mythbuntu

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Mon Jan 26 17:22:04 UTC 2009

jarpublic at gmail.com wrote:
> Was this before the 2.6.28 kernel was released and the devs declared ext4
> stable? I know that them declaring it stable is no guarantee, but before
> they declared it stable basically means there were still known bugs or
> features missing. So having problems with an unstable release of ext4
> would
> be no surprise.

Yes it was. 2.6.27 probably. Given the apparent state of ext4, I'm
surprised that even Fedora saw fit to release it without major warnings!

I wouldn't have even considered it for a non-test system of course.

Only reason I was even aware of it was that I was trying to get the
mkfs.ext3 parameters right, not being too familiar with ext3 (been using
primarily reiser for years). One or two of the options around inode setup
and block structure looked useful (note this was in the mkfs.ext3 manpage,
not ext4), and I set them up according to the manpage. However I was then
unable to mount the filesystem without setting type=ext4 in fstab. Thought
I'd give it a whirl, but didn't stick with it due to problems.

Some of those new format options look handy for myth systems though, so
definitely worth a revisit in 6 months, with a view to use ext4 instead of
xfs/jfs perhaps, once it's stable/proven.
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted
items, including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts