[mythtv-users] Myth won't play DVDs, video is shaky

"José Tomás @ Chico" jose.tomas at chico.mine.nu
Thu Jan 22 20:41:16 UTC 2009

The GUIGuy wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>

>> I?m new to MythTV, so I have not familiarized myself with all of the
>> settings yet. I?m not sure why it defaulted to CPU+. My system can
>> handle Normal without a problem.
>>
>  > I?ve still got a small black bar at the bottom of the screen >(neglected
>  > to mention that in my first email). I?m hoping to get rid of it. It
>  > shows up at the bottom, not on any other side of the screen.
>
> Screen refresh rates maybe? I'm downunder and initially had some
> problems getting the picture to fill the screen on our LG 42" 1080p LCD
> screen.
>
> I'm in Australia where we use PAL at 25 frames ps. The nvidia card's
> output that worked best is 1980 X 1080 at 75hz, ie the refresh rate
> being a multiple of the 25 ps.
>
> de-interlacing still leaves me disappointed so for fast action sports we
> switch the LCD's inbuilt tuner.
>

>> I?d prefer to try to get the internal mythtv player to work before I try
>> to use an external one like mplayer per your suggestion
>
> I've had no luck getting the internal player to work with video DVDs,
> protected or otherwise. libcss etc is installed. Like the other poster I
> settled for mplayer.
>
> Cheers
Hi!

I found your post, I also posted the same issue.
I was hable to have mplayer working properly reading DVDs, vlc already
readed, but has you guys told, the internal is preferable.
Any one did found a solution for the internal?

I did found that in the last 24 months the libmpeg2, libdvdnav and
libdvdread had major fixes related to the kind of issues we get reading
DVDs.
I did try to compile them but no success. Talked with the person related
with mplayer, that answered directly that the mplayer provided by Ubuntu
repositories was to old.
I did download the mplayer, compiled and voilá! Was reading DVDs with
mplayer, but not with Internal. Snif! :-(

Pls... help! Help! ;-)
Regards!
Tomas