[mythtv-users] Myth won't play DVDs, video is shaky

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 01:58:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 9:41 AM, "José Tomás @ Chico"
<jose.tomas at chico.mine.nu> wrote:
> The GUIGuy wrote:
>
> Andrew wrote:
>

> I�m new to MythTV, so I have not familiarized myself with all of the
> settings yet. I�m not sure why it defaulted to CPU+. My system can
> handle Normal without a problem.
>

>  > I�ve still got a small black bar at the bottom of the screen >(neglected
>  > to mention that in my first email). I�m hoping to get rid of it. It
>  > shows up at the bottom, not on any other side of the screen.
>
> Screen refresh rates maybe? I'm downunder and initially had some
> problems getting the picture to fill the screen on our LG 42" 1080p LCD
> screen.
>
> I'm in Australia where we use PAL at 25 frames ps. The nvidia card's
> output that worked best is 1980 X 1080 at 75hz, ie the refresh rate
> being a multiple of the 25 ps.
>
> de-interlacing still leaves me disappointed so for fast action sports we
> switch the LCD's inbuilt tuner.
>

> I�d prefer to try to get the internal mythtv player to work before I try
> to use an external one like mplayer per your suggestion
>
> I've had no luck getting the internal player to work with video DVDs,
> protected or otherwise. libcss etc is installed. Like the other poster I
> settled for mplayer.
>
> Cheers
>
> Hi!
>
> I found your post, I also posted the same issue.
> I was hable to have mplayer working properly reading DVDs, vlc already
> readed, but has you guys told, the internal is preferable.
> Any one did found a solution for the internal?
>
> I did found that in the last 24 months the libmpeg2, libdvdnav and
> libdvdread had major fixes related to the kind of issues we get reading
> DVDs.
> I did try to compile them but no success. Talked with the person related
> with mplayer, that answered directly that the mplayer provided by Ubuntu
> repositories was to old.
> I did download the mplayer, compiled and voilá! Was reading DVDs with
> mplayer, but not with Internal. Snif! :-(

AFAIK mythtv internal does not directly link to or use those
libraries. It copies the code rom those libraries into its own source
tree, and merges in new mplayer/libmpeg etc code from time to time. I
presume the myth devs make their own changes too. Myth does this to
ensure the code is stable, rather than linking to external libraries
that change rapidly and which are outside the control of the mythtv
devs. avidemux takes a similar approach.

This does mean that the "features" of the latest svn mplayer and
associated libraries are not available in mythtv unless & until mythtv
devs merge in the newer code AND do a new release.

More recent libraries may be available in myth trunk, but that brings
its own problems.

So basically you are stuck with mplayer or vlc if you need the latest
code. I know there are advantages in using Internal for everything,
but at least you have an alternative that works, and works well.