[mythtv-users] Possible to run multiple frontends on one PC??

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Jan 22 20:39:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, January 22, 2009 12:08 pm, Gregg wrote:
> I have quad core CPU sitting around, and rather than building a PC's
> for each room , I was wondering if it would be possible to run two
> frontends simultaneously on one PC?  And will it be able to do hdtv if
> it has two good video cards.
> I saw this program...
> http://www2.userful.com/products/downloads/free-2-user
> I was wondering if anyone has tried this yet??

This is a part of X.  I'm not sure what they're doing, but if you google
xorg multiseat you will find several projects provide this.

Fedora and Ubuntu both bundle some form of multi-seat.

I am using mdm

http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/Main_Page

which is still in development but shows great promise.

As for the sound, you should be able to modify this

http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/How_to_make_the_sound_work

to make it work.

LIRC has multi-device support in CVS|git|svn|whatever they use.  I have
not worked with it so I can't say if/how it works and I don't know if you
can specify which device myth connects to.

> I was planing on
> placing the pc in a central location and running separate video,
> audio, and IR wires to each room to control the frontends.

This is what I do.  Be aware that DVI cables are only good for 50'; beyond
that you need gadgets that clean up the signal.  It gets really expensive
to go more than 60'.   You can get USB extender cables for a few $ on ebay
and plug everything into a USB hub on the far end; save on the cabling
that way.  Use a USB remote as well; don't mess with serial. I think your
signal loss would be too great for LIRC to work reliably.

--Yan

--
  o__

You are an adult when you realize that everyone's an idiot sometimes. You
are wise when you include yourself.