[mythtv-users] Strange mythweb OT: Force Mythweb to mobile for iphone?

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 03:50:50 UTC 2009

>> I apologize for being off topic, however, that gives me a good idea
>> for
>> another form of interface to mythfrontend. With MyMote, there are
>> some
>> problems due to how the iPhone chooses to shut down it's wifi
>> interface
>> after a certain amount of time, and when auto-sleep is triggered.  It
>> seems to enjoy both long battery life, and device disconnection
>> tolerance, a web interface would have several advantages.  State
>> can be
>> saved on the frontend's web server with cookies, and the server
>> does not
>> care whether or not the remote has internet connection.
>> Authentication
>> and security are handled by the iPhone's web browser, interface
>> updates
>> can be requested as needed through javascript.  Then, the only
>> problem
>> arises from avoiding browser crashes.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Due to lag, I never have found network-based remotes very effective
> (save for HD Home Run control which is technically network control,
> but also IR). I've also learned to not rely on my iPhone for network
> traffic. It can be spotty for me at times. I prefer a good old IR
> receiver and don't think it's practical to stop controlling my TV
> when my phone rings. ;)

I can't vouch for your experiences, but I find MyMote to be extremely
responsive, as have a few others on the list I believe. I used to use
an RF ATI Wonder remote, and the difference in lag is extreme. The RF
remote has probably a few tenths of a second lag, but I can't discern
any lag with MyMote.

As far as spotty network traffic, I've not had any issues myself, but
of course we can't easily compare network environments.