[mythtv-users] Strange mythweb OT: Force Mythweb to mobile for iphone?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Jan 20 03:42:31 UTC 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 7:23 PM, Jim Cuzella wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> The same way a moose compares to a log cabin.
>>
>> Maybe you should look at what mythweb actually is.
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythweb
>>
>> -Brad
>>
> Hehe, I was assuming that mythweb would allow sending control commands
> to a frontend/backend if they were on the same machine.  My
> bad :P... I
> had forgotten about the client/server model due to my own single
> machine
> setup.

Actually, my comment wasn't entirely accurate. There is a component of
mythweb that allows you to control a frontend. The standard template
is a keyboard layout in the web browser where you can click keys to
send them to the selected front end. I remember seeing it when I
installed 0.21 but I never used it and now I don't see it in trunk so
I either have something wrong or it's being replaced. There is a
button in the iPod layout that says "Remote" or something like that,
but it isn't functional yet (for me, anyway).

> I apologize for being off topic, however, that gives me a good idea
> for
> another form of interface to mythfrontend. With MyMote, there are some
> problems due to how the iPhone chooses to shut down it's wifi
> interface
> after a certain amount of time, and when auto-sleep is triggered.  It
> seems to enjoy both long battery life, and device disconnection
> tolerance, a web interface would have several advantages.  State can
> be
> saved on the frontend's web server with cookies, and the server does
> not
> care whether or not the remote has internet connection.
> Authentication
> and security are handled by the iPhone's web browser, interface
> updates
> can be requested as needed through javascript.  Then, the only problem
> arises from avoiding browser crashes.
>
> Thoughts?

Due to lag, I never have found network-based remotes very effective
(save for HD Home Run control which is technically network control,
but also IR). I've also learned to not rely on my iPhone for network
traffic. It can be spotty for me at times. I prefer a good old IR
receiver and don't think it's practical to stop controlling my TV when
my phone rings. ;)

-Brad